City Council committee passes curfew time change for unaccompanied minors – NBC Chicago

On Friday, members of the Chicago City Council’s Public Safety Committee approved Mayor Lori Lightfoot’s earlier proposal for a citywide curfew for minors after a series of violent crimes – from shootings to robberies army to carjackings – recently plagued the city center.

On Friday, committee members voted 14 to 3 in favor of revising the 30-year-old curfew order, for which Lightfoot signed an executive order earlier this week. The new curfew stipulates that minors between the ages of 12 and 17 cannot go out on the streets of the city every day of the week, from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.

For ages 12 and under, this curfew becomes 9 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays

Previously, an 11 p.m. curfew for minors applied on weekends and a 10 p.m. curfew applied on weekdays.

According to the revised order, the curfew does not apply if the minor attended a paid or sponsored event, such as Lollapalooza.

The new rule is in addition to a new Millennium Park curfew, which states that unaccompanied minors under the age of 18 are not permitted in the park from 6 p.m. Thursday through Sunday.

Lightfoot has imposed a curfew on Millennium Park following a fatal shooting of a 16-year-old near ‘The Bean’ which occurred around 7.30pm on Saturday.

Anyone under the age of 18 is “welcome to the park during the evening hours as long as they are accompanied by at least one responsible adult,” a press release from Lightfoot’s office reads.

None of the curfews give much detail regarding enforcement. However, according to a press release from Lightfoot’s office, the Millennium Park curfew “will be strictly enforced and violations will be dealt with promptly.”

At a Monday news conference about the new rules, Lightfoot said “Chicago police will exhaust all other efforts before taking law enforcement action to ensure young people are safe.”

“No, we don’t want to arrest kids,” Lightfoot said. “If we have to do it because they’re breaking the law, we’ll do it. But what we’ve seen in other areas of the city, when issues have arisen, is our officers talking to young people, the inform about the rules and in most cases the youngsters disperse without incident, which is what we hope will happen.

In an interview with NBC 5’s Mary Ann Ahern, Light said private security would be on the front line enforcing the new restrictions at Millennium Park.

Comments are closed.