Form special council to tackle ‘lost generation’ of students from Covid-19 pandemic, says Maszlee

Maszlee Malik, representative of PKR Johor, delivers his speech during the 16th PKR National Congress at IDCC in Shah Alam on July 16, 2022. — Photo by Shafwan Zaidon

By Shahrin Aizat Noorshahrizam

Saturday, July 16, 2022 5:00 PM MYT

SHAH ALAM, June 16 – Former Education Minister Maszlee Malik has again called for a special bipartisan council to tackle the “lost generation” of students affected by the Covid-19 pandemic, who according to him, has been ignored by the current administration.

Speaking at the PKR National Congress here, Simpang Renggam MP said the move would be in line with Yang di-Pertuan Agong’s decree to revive Malaysia’s education system after the pandemic.

“I remember Agong’s decree at the opening of the parliamentary session last year directly mentioned education, where he called on the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Higher Education to be inclusive through political ideologies and expertise to rebuild academic institutions.

“And this should be celebrated by ministries, but unfortunately there is no solid effort from ministries to save our education system,” he said in his speech.

On numerous occasions, Maszlee had drawn attention to the dangers of the “lost generation” of students, including those who had difficulty continuing their education due to an array of complications throughout the pandemic.

It comes as Malaysian students have lost hundreds of normal school days since the movement control order came into force in March 2020.

Commenting on the revival of the free student meal scheme, he said that only Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail supported his proposal when she was Deputy Prime Minister under the Pakatan Harapan (PH)/

Maszlee previously said then-Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad and former finance minister Lim Guan Eng rejected the idea of ​​free meals for students three years ago.

Comments are closed.