Iran issues first death sentence after ‘riots’: judiciary

AL-MUKALLA: Four Yemeni soldiers and two civilians were killed in a Houthi missile strike on a village in Yemen’s Lahj province on Friday, as the militia stepped up attacks on government-held areas in the province and somewhere else.

A local military official told Arab News that a Houthi-launched guided missile targeted a military vehicle carrying troops and residents of Qadash village in northern Lahj province, killing six people – four soldiers and two civilians. – and hurting many others.

The strike prompted pro-independence troops in the south to counterattack by heavily shelling Houthi-controlled sections of the province.

Also in Lahj, a Yemeni government soldier was killed on Saturday during skirmishes with the Houthis in disputed parts of the province’s Tur Al-Bahah district.

Local officials and media said the Houthis assaulted separatist troops in the Hayfan area of ​​Tur Al-Bahah district in an attempt to gain territory, leading to violence that ended when the militia ceased its offensive.

Dozens of civilians and fighters have been killed in skirmishes across Yemen since a UN-brokered truce expired in early October.

The truce which came into effect on April 2 has significantly reduced violence across Yemen, allowed tankers to enter the port of Hodeidah and also allowed thousands of Yemenis to take commercial flights from Sanaa.

The Houthis have refused to extend the truce as well as pay public employees in areas under their control.

They also rejected proposals to partially lift their siege from Taiz, Yemen’s third-largest city.

On Friday, the militia ignored international demands asking it to end attacks on government-controlled oil facilities, reiterating the threat against tankers that transport Yemeni oil shipments to foreign markets.

Hussein Al-Azzi, Houthi deputy foreign minister, blasted US, British and French diplomats who called on the militia to stop targeting oil infrastructure, threatening to continue attacks until the Yemeni government agrees to share revenue from oil sales.

“Sanaa will continue to protect people’s property and will not give up until all theft and looting activities come to an end and disappear completely,” the Houthi official said.

The Yemeni government declared the Houthis a terrorist group last month and demanded the international community do the same after the militia launched drone attacks on two oil ports in Hadramout and Shabwa.

The Houthis have carried out new drone attacks on commercial ports, including Al-Mukalla in Hadramout and Qana in Shabwa.

Comments are closed.