Motorcyclist killed in four-vehicle collision on Freemens Way – The Pembrokeshire Herald

HYWEL DDA HEALTH BOARD appealed to the public to look after his family members at home to free up beds for more seriously ill patients.

The Health Council said there is currently unprecedented demand for care services in Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion.

In a statement, they asked members of the public to look after loved ones at home or bring home a family member, who is hospitalized and awaiting discharge, to free up beds to try to easing demands.

The Board of Health said the demand is causing significant delays in the delivery of care, which in turn is causing major bed shortages and long ambulance waits in A&E departments, which also means that paramedics are unable to respond to other 999 calls in the community.

Health and social care teams are doing all they can to support people who are well enough to leave hospital but need ongoing care.

Priority is given to the most vulnerable and alternative health and care programs are offered as a short-term measure. More carers and healthcare staff are also being recruited to support those in need.

The Health Council said spending so little time in hospital is better for patients and means NHS beds can be freed up for others with urgent care needs.

Helping elderly patients to return home effectively after hospitalization is an important part of their recovery and also protects them from the negative consequences of hospitalization, such as nosocomial infections, falls and loss of independence.

A Health Council spokesperson said: “If you have a parent or loved one in hospital who is well enough to go home but is awaiting discharge with home care and/or community health support, please consider if you may be able to help them get home faster – you and your family may be able to support them at home.

“If your loved one is expecting a formal package of care, you may be able to offer support and care through a temporary short-term arrangement or you may wish to consider whether your loved one could be supported in a temporary facility. or a nursing facility. .

“If you think this is an option you could consider, please speak to the ward manager or your caseworker to explore further.”

To help ease pressures at hospital sites, a number of Same Day Emergency Care (SDEC) units have been opened which you can be referred to if you have an illness that can be seen and processed quickly.

Director of Nursing, Quality and Patient Experience at the Hywel Dda University Health Board, Mandy Rayani, said: “We are facing a combination of high attendance numbers, particularly in our emergency departments. , and challenges in staffing health professionals.

“Our GP surgeries and hospitals are busy and although many COVID regulations have been removed, we still need to follow specific requirements for the safe treatment of patients with COVID-19 and those without. not.

“We are working with our local authorities as there are difficulties getting some patients out due to similar staffing issues facing the social care sector. This means that we have very few beds available to accommodate patients who need to be admitted.

“Our teams help patients based on their clinical priority, but this means that in some cases wait times in our emergency departments last for hours and far exceed what we strive to provide.

“If you need medical help, think carefully about the services you choose.”

If you feel unwell and don’t know what to do, you can visit the online symptom checker to check your symptoms against a number of common illnesses and, if prompted, call NHS 111 .

Only go to the emergency department if you have a life-threatening illness or serious injury, such as:

  • Severe breathing difficulties
  • Severe pain or bleeding
  • Chest pain or suspected stroke
  • Serious trauma (for example, following a car accident)

If you have a less serious injury, please visit a Minor Injury Unit. They can treat adults and children over 12 months old, with injuries such as:

  • Minor injuries
  • Minor burns or scalds
  • insect bites
  • Minor injuries to limbs, head or face
  • Foreign bodies in the nose or ear

There are minor injury or walk-in services at Cardigan Integrated Care Center and Tenby Hospital.

Many community pharmacies may also offer walk-in services, common ailments, or walk-in triage and treatment services.

A spokesperson concluded: “Your support not only helps your loved one, but it is also huge support for the NHS and social services.

“Please help us make our service safer by sharing this information with your friends and family.”

Comments are closed.